I live in the grand state of Texas! I' love Texas!! I've learned it's hotter than the devils tongue...more beautiful than a fresh baked cup cake....and friendlier than the high school counselor that gave you the creeps. Come share my adventures in life. I'm a mother of three beautiful one's & two hairy ones (my doggies). I must also mention that I'm the CEO of the family. I've learned that life is more than 'my fine shirt just got soaked' bath times, 'hey we are so running fashionable late again' swimming lessons, your most recent 'break down' in the laundry room (yes I'm talking to you; now put down the dryer lint slowly), the latest 'does my butt look big' moment, or even that rock awesome meal you cooked last night. Life is random, sexy, unbelievable, predictable and darn cool. Lets get crafty, create, explore Texas, and have some pretty sweet experiences!

More from this author »
RECENT PINS

Elf on the Shelf Controversy

I read an article in the Nauvoo Times that inspired me to speak up a bit on behalf of this crazy little phenomenon known as Elf on the Shelf, or as we like to call ours, Roscoe Peeko Train.

The article talks about how creepy the elf is and how he is taking the job of the parents in monitoring good behavior and…well read it for yourself here.  Now I agree with some of what the author is saying and I do think that parents need to step up and help their families remember the true meaning of Christmas.  It was a wonderfully written article; I just happen to look for a simpler way to identify with the elf, my kids, and my holiday.  As mentioned before we are proud to have an elf in the family.  Our Roscoe makes no mischief…he doesn’t monitor bad behavior or take the place of the true meaning of the season.  We have him for fun.   He leaves us notes that are encouraging for the day or that have a scripture on them about Christ.  For our family he’s another way to help keep our kids…kids. With all the electronics and all the hubbub of technology there’s something a little bit nice about a simple elf with a simple smile that helps remind us that Christmas is about traditions and family!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tags: , , , , , ,

Comments (7)

1. Lauren 11/22/2013 at 2:55 am

My lil man loves his elf, Clyde. Perhaps, more so the book. I think it gives him the feeling Christmas is nearing and it excites him. We don’t use it as a parenting tool, punishment, or relate negativity to it. However, he knows Clyde reports to Santa. Like Nikki said, its a new and fun tradition. Clyde has been with us 3 Christmas’ now. C’mon people. A toy stuffed elf, is just a toy stuffed elf. That simple.

2. Angel 12/10/2012 at 3:32 pm

Even though the Elf is a bit creepy, it sure does help me as a Mom to have an extra reminder for my 4 yr old to be a good boy. We have so much fun talking about him,and seeing where he shows up each day. I like your idea about putting little notes with him to spread some Christmas excitement in our house, and especially quoting Bible verses.

3. Nikki 12/10/2012 at 2:34 pm

Give me a break! The Elf is just another fun tradition for families and kids! Mine love
    Getting up each morning to see where he has hidden. People today over analyze and over judge!

4. Sue @ ChocolateCakeMoments.com 12/10/2012 at 2:28 pm

Hi Jenny,

I agree. We have been doing the Elf on the Shelf for 6 years now (I bought mine from the owner sitting in a tiny stand and the Austin Junior League Holiday Mart) and the focus was never on the kids’ behavior. It explained why he “flew” back at night and then reappeared in a fun new place the next morning but other than that, it was never mentioned again. It’s a low tech, fun holiday tradition that puts a smile on my family’s face during a happy but crazy busy season. Here’s the thing, no one is forcing parents to get an Elf. If it’s not right for your family, then abstain. Thanks! Sue

5. Heather 12/10/2012 at 2:06 pm

I love the creepy little feller, mine is not naughty and he doesn’t monitor my kids, he just shows up in a new place each morning. My kids can’t wait to find him each day. My friends on Facebook enjoy seeing his new location and sending me relevant articles harassing me. It’s all in good fun for us!

6. Jenny Crozier 12/05/2012 at 7:56 pm

Oh shoot thanks! I’ll get right on that!

7. Lori 12/05/2012 at 2:12 pm

the link to the article you reference isn’t right. It links to a youtube video of a Christmas song. Just thought I’d let you know.